Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Extremely poor quality of GNUStep applications
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:35:14 +0200

Am 20.04.2011 um 09:19 schrieb Ivan Vučica:

> On 20. tra. 2011., at 07:01, "Zhang Weiwu, Beijing" <zhangweiwu@realss.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 04/20/2011 12:40 PM, Gregory Casamento wrote:
>>> None of the apps you mentioned with the sole exception of gworkspace
>>> are maintained by this team.  So, I'm not entirely certain what your
>>> point here is.
>>
>> Is there a way to co-ordinate delivery of user experience? We could say this
>> is the job of distribution.
>>
>> Just please confirm if my understanding following is correct, as I am trying
>> to get a clue:
>>
>> What is gnome:
>>
>> 1. Gnome is an organization intended to deliver user experience on
>>    *nix environment.
>> 2. Gnome is a community of workers, translators, designers and users
>>    in collaboration.
>> 3. Gnome is a product that consists of many desktop applications
>>    following a guideline, and a distribution of these products.
>>
>> What is gnustep
>>
>>  * GNUstep is a loose organization without offices and management
>>    hierarchy, intended to deliver a graphical user interface
>>    development environment for developers.
>>  * GNUstep is a community of development environment development
>>    team, note that it's not also a community of software vendors who
>>    develop using GNUstep, nor does it attempt to unify product
>>    delivery for any defined set of user experience.
>>  * GNUstep is a collection of a few products that makes it possible
>>    to develop applications, any other GNUstep applications are
>>    applications of their own vendor and have no direct relationship
>>    with GNUstep. Of course these vendors are welcome to contribute to
>>    GNUstep if they want to, but their writing of GNUstep based
>>    applications are their own business outside of GNUstep.
>>

>> My original post is not about GNUstep development environment but is
>> in-topic in case of gnome definition 1) and 2), I must have assumed gnustep
>> the same. My fault.
>>

> That approximately seems to be the case. As far as I know, Etoile project is
> trying to provide a full experience based on GS, but I have not tried it out
> and I don't know the state of the project. It does seem to me Etoile might
> try to pressure app devs and/or fix the issues if they are raised, but I
> don't know if that is what they do or want to do.

Also to mention: there is GAP (GNUstep application project)

        http://gap.nongnu.org/

where Riccardo is intensively ironing out any issues he becomes aware of. So
this is sort
of a intensively maintained application reservoir trying to be compatible to
the latest
GNUstep releases.

IMHO, all this raises (once again every year) the question what "GNUstep" is or
should
be in e.g. 10 years: a GUI framework + developer tools and/or a set of well
defined and
useful Applications using this framework.

When looking form an organizational perspective, I think the GNUstep project
(Base,
Gui, Make, Back) are part of the FSF GNU software collection
(http://www.gnu.org/software/).

While applications are not under the umbrella of FSF and managed individually by
the respective authors.

Nikolaus