Re: Painting gnustep-gui into OpenGL

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: Painting gnustep-gui into OpenGL
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 08:34:26 -0700

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cheers!
> Has anyone tried using a GNUstep graphical application inside an OpenGL
> context? It seems to me this should be possible using Cairo backend, but I'd
> like to know if anyone has tried this before attempting this. Painting
> directly inside any kind of graphical memory (directly on top of
> framebuffer, into SDL memory, into GL texture) counts as well, especially
> with custom event injection.
> Using GNUstep as an integrated GUI in a 3D game would be awesome. I have a
> very messy half-baked GUI solution written in C++, and at work folks have
> developed another GUI (aprilui). There's CEGUI, there's tons of GUIs out
> there, but none with the elegance I perceive *Step to have.
> Opening separate, true x11/win32/osx windows is not what I have in mind,
> since games are fullscreen and their GUI is an integral part of the game.

there was at some point in time work on an opengl backend,

http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~guenther/grr06-on-ogl-backend.png
This screenshot is from an experimental version of Alex Malmberg's
OpenGL backend for GNUstep.

seems there is a copy in the wayback machine,
(GLDisplayServer, possibly the rds files too i don't remember).
http://replay.web.archive.org/20080317002635/http://web.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/