GCC 4.6 under MinGW

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: GCC 4.6 under MinGW
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 16:29:14 +0200

Hi,

if anyone is interested in using GCC 4.6 under MinGW, here is a precompiled version:
http://www.xvidvideo.ru/component/docman/cat_view/28-cross-mingwgcc-x86x64/183-cross-mingw-with-gcc-46-x86x64/188-experimental--pre-release.html
Of course, I have no idea if there is any malicious code in the compiler, but I'll be an optimist and presume no, since I don't have the will to sit through a full compile of GCC.

I've tried to combine this with prebuilt binary of GNUstep for Windows, and compile Zcode. Of course, that failed:
  undefined reference to `objc_getPropertyStruct'
I presume this is because runtime shipped with the above GCC 4.6 does not support properties. Oh well -- I went and tried to compile GNUstep.

I've followed instructions in README.MinGW and managed to install gnustep-make, but compiling the runtime failed.
$ make THREADING=posix
This is gnustep-make 2.6.0. Type 'make print-gnustep-make-help' for help.
Making all for clibrary libobjc...
 Compiling file thr-posix.c ...
thr-posix.c: In function '__objc_thread_detach':
thr-posix.c:93:5: error: cannot convert to a pointer type
thr-posix.c: In function '__objc_thread_id':
thr-posix.c:177:3: error: cannot convert to a pointer type
make[3]: *** [obj/libobjc.obj/thr-posix.c.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [internal-library-all_] Error 2
make[1]: *** [libobjc.all.clibrary.variables] Error 2
make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

Trying to compile with non-POSIX threading also fails:
This is gnustep-make 2.6.0. Type 'make print-gnustep-make-help' for help.
Making all for clibrary libobjc...
 Linking clibrary libobjc ...
Creating library file: ./obj/libobjc.dll.a
obj/libobjc.obj/Object.m.o: In function `-[Object error:]':
c:\Users\ivucica\Downloads\gnustep\libobjc/Object.m:329: undefined reference to
`__gnu_objc_personality_sj0'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [obj/libobjc.dll.a] Error 1
make[3]: *** Deleting file `obj/libobjc.dll.a'
make[2]: *** [internal-library-all_] Error 2
make[1]: *** [libobjc.all.clibrary.variables] Error 2
make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

I'm not sure how to proceed. I will try removing precompiled GNUstep completely and attempting to compile from scratch -- perhaps something messed up when I tried to merge the two directory trees.

I'm also interested why do instructions specify in multiple places that POSIX variants of code (namely, threading) should be used? Especially if there are win32-specific code variants?

--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net