Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Re: ANN: One Step to GNUstep - pre-release version 0.9
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 15:37:30 +0100

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 08:10:16AM -0400,ivucica@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm very interested in this. Does the built-in compiler support Objective-C
> 2.0? That is, is it perhaps either gcc 4.6 or clang?

No. All the system stuff is standard openSUSE 11.4. The compiler is:
gcc version 4.5.1 20101208 [gcc-4_5-branch revision 167585] (SUSE
Linux).

> Does this environment contain Etoile?

No, 'fraid not. It just contains a smallish set of apps, mainly from
GAP. There's a list of contents on the web-page at:
<URL:http://www.rstonehouse.co.uk/extras/GNUstep-VM-0.9/devtools.html>

> Was it built using SuSE Studio? If so, could it be built as an installable
> distribution in addition to being a virtual machine?

It was built using kiwi. SuSE studio uses kiwi so, essentially, the
answer is Yes.

It could indeed be built as an installable distribution but would
probably need more packages added to make it usable for that purpose.
For example, it doesn't include a web browser - I've just said, "use
your host system's web browser". It doesn't include multimedia - you
will likely get better sound reproduction, for example, by playing it
in your host machine than in a guest Virtual Machine.

My aim for the VM has been to keep the package set as lean as
possible, so as to make it easy and quick to download.

--
    Richard Stonehouse