Re: ANN: GNUstep 2.6.0 for openSUSE 11.4

From: Nat!
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep 2.6.0 for openSUSE 11.4
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 11:16:45 +0200

Am 15.06.2011 um 10:39 schrieb David Chisnall:

> On 14 Jun 2011, at 23:19, Nat! wrote:

>>> objc_msgSend() is a trampoline function.  It must pass all of its arguments
>>> to the called IMP.  This is not possible in C.  Apple implements a version
>>> of it in assembly for every calling convention, for every architecture, and
>>> for every platform that they support (currently, this comes to about a
>>> dozen implementations, and they support a very narrow range of platforms
>>> compared to GNUstep).
>>>
>> Ah I see. I hope, that if I reduce the scope to a small fixed number of id
>> parameters, I can get by.
>
> It's really better to just call class_getMethodImplementation() and call the
> returning IMP.  This code will work everywhere, and the performance
> difference between using it and using objc_msgSend() is tiny.

It's more of an experiment porting my stuff to GNUstep, so your advice
nonwithstanding I think my plan, will work, because I believe I only use it
objc_msgSend for simple calls (max. one or two id parameters and return value).
Otherwise I would have to change a lot of source.

>>> The forwarding hooks that are used depend on the runtime. See
>>> GSFFIInvocation.m for how they are all used.
>>
>> Is there some exported #define (like OBJC_API_VERSION) that could be
>> checked, which runtime I am compiling against ?
>
> Not really.  GCC 4.6 and later define something.  The GNUstep Runtime defines
> __GNUSTEP_RUNTIME__ in objc/runtime.h and then provides a set of capability
> flags in objc/caps.h to let you check at compile time and run time which
> capabilities the runtime that you are using supports.

Hmm, this could indicate that I _do_ have the wrong set of headers. In
/usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.5/include/objc I neither see caps.h nor
runtime.h.
But it's not a big problem, for my experiments I can live without them.

> ... then you are almost certainly doing something very, very wrong.

Hey, I would prefer to think of it as almost certainly doing something very,
very clever :)

Thanks for all the help
   Nat!
A good dog, though a fool.
Who wants a smart dog!  -- R.A. Lafferty