Re: New -base release?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: New -base release?
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 10:44:47 +0200

Hi David,

you don't seem to get the point. I don't have to tell you that a change the contains the word "fix" is just as likely to break something as if it doesn't contain that word. And even if these fixes where 100% correct, we still need to make sure that none of the other changes has any effect outside the proper target environment.

I would suggest that we start a code freeze for GNUstep base on the next weekend. This gives people some time (although rather little) to push in features that they really want to see in the next release. Then we have two weeks of code freeze during which only changes to the test are allowed, plus bug fixes that are supported by tests. NO new features during that time, not even tiny ones.
After that a release would be fine for me.

Could we agree on that schedule? I will try to get some response from Richard on this.

As tests go, I just run the base tests and had quite a few failing for me:

   6248 Passed tests
     13 Dashed hopes
      8 Skipped sets
      5 Failed tests
      2 Failed files
      1 Failed build

I would prefer to see skipped tests and dashed hopes here. A failing test always should mean that my system is broken and unusable in some sense, for example because my objc runtime isn't thread safe. But I don't want to see a failed test because I don't have ICU installed. In that case we should report a skipped test. Of course this will mean that some features of GNUstep base aren't available on my system, but basically GNUstep is still usable.
The failed tests are:
base/NSMapTable/weak.m
base/NSHashTable/weak.m
base/NSString/regex.m
base/NSJSONSerialization/json.m

I will look into the last one that fails to compile without C99 and add an autorelease pool to the regex test. Could you please make the first three tests dashed hopes?

Fred