Re: New -base release?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: New -base release?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:32:54 +0200

Hi

*light bulb on* ! Perhaps we do not read the conent, but we assume it is a symlink? I tried switching versions using a symlink and not by copying again.... I need to test that too. Darn.
I confirm this.

It is not a matter if "localtime" is of version 1 or 2: if it is a raw copy, it doesn't work, if it is a symlink, it works. We interpret the "path" and not the contents (makes sens, i couldn't find provision in NSTimeZone for interpreting the contents of a binary file).

It is perfectly licit however that localtime is a copy and not a simlink.

Perhaps david can shed more light on how to interpret the TZ on freebsd.

There exists tzname, but it is only an abbreviation. The tm structure contains:

           int tm_isdst;   /* is summer time in effect? */
           char *tm_zone;  /* abbreviation of timezone name */

But I understand we want "Europe/Rome" and not "CE" + the ST bit.  Otherwise we can't distinguish Europe/Berlin from Europe/Rome... both are CE.

"Use of the external variable tzname is discouraged; the tm_zone entry in the tm structure is preferred." But that doesn't help us either.

Riccardo