Re: Doxygen documentation

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: Doxygen documentation
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:25:00 +0200

Le 26 sept. 2011 à 20:54, BTS a écrit :

> I can't comment on the objective-c output since I only tried with
> -corebase.  However, the output can be customized and new directives created
> using aliases.  I'm not sure how much work that would take, though.  I'll
> take a look at DocGenerator, tonight.

I'm a bit late to jump into the discussion. I'm currently away for vacations,
but next week I should be able to reply to questions if people are interested
in using DocGenerator or customizing it.

Just to give you an idea of what it can do…

You can find an example of the DocGenerator output here:
http://etoileos.com/dev/api/EtoileFoundation/README.html
You can click on the symbol names such as methods or functions to
collapse/expand them individually.

Here is what DocGenerator offers currently :
- an HTML output based on collapsable symbols to make the navigation quicker
and use the page space as efficiently as possible
- a subset of the GSDoc markup extended with some markup additions a la JavaDoc
or HeaderDoc
- a smart insertion of links related to classes, protocols, methods e.g. it can
parse "standard" ObjC notation mixed with punctuation such as -[Class whatever];
- a simple template model to organize the documentation page layout
- the possibility to collate symbols in various ways. For example, the API
overview page or the page that collates the categories related to a single
class on a single page are both created by subclasses of the DocPage class
- the possibility to support multiple parsers in input, for now we only have a
GSDocParser (to parse the autogsdoc ouput) but in future a Clang-driven parser
will be added
- an interface to Graphviz to generate diagrams (currently used on the API
overview page)
- automatic pararaph markup generation a la Doxygen (that's a feature I added
to autogsdoc)
- a doc output that respects the method order declaration in the headers (this
will be extended to other symbols)

You can find a short presentation about DocGenerator right in the middle of
these FOSDEM slides:
http://etoileos.com/uploads/presentations/etoile-status-fosdem-2011.pdf

The code is available here:
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/etoile/trunk/Etoile/Developer/Services/DocGenerator/
The dependencies are EtoileFoundation, autogsdoc, Discount (markdown C library)
and Graphviz. The only dependency that is not possible to remove is
EtoileFoundation. EtoileFoundation only requires GNUstep Base though.

Cheers,
Quentin.