Re: building a self-contained deployable gnustep [cont]

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: building a self-contained deployable gnustep [cont]
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 14:57:07 +0100

On 17 Oct 2011, at 14:37, Julian Mayer wrote:

>> Not quite ...
>>
>> --with-config-file=./GNUstep.conf
>> means read the GNUstep.conf,file in the same directory as the base library,
>> and use the information from it
>>
>> --with-config-file=./
>> means treat the directory containing the base library as the location of the
>> config file, but don't read/use it ... use the default paths built in when
>> base was configured
>>
>> Both will make things relocatable, but one lets you reconfigure relative
>> locations *after* building base and the other requires them to have been
>> configured beforehand.
>
> thanks. i am not sure if this is documented anywhere? ;)

It's in the GNUstep-base documentation in the sections on configuration files
and relocatable packages.

> ok, but if i do it your way, i.e. copy the standalone folder to the app
> bundle the error message about the backend not being found stays the same. no
> success either.
>
> i've modified NSApplication.m to print the pathes where it is looking for the
> backend bundle: it isn't looking in relative locations at all!
>
> notroot@ubuntu:~/Desktop/GNUstepTest/HelloWorld.app$
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/notroot/Desktop/GNUstepTest/HelloWorld.app/standalone
> ./HelloWorld
> 2011-10-16 23:17:42.986 HelloWorld[8778] not found at
> /Library/Frameworks/GNUstep_back.framework
> 2011-10-16 23:17:42.987 HelloWorld[8778] not found at
> /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Frameworks/GNUstep_back.framework

I can think of only three ways that could happen:

1. your environment variable is incorrectly set so that the loader is picking
up some other copy of the gnustep-base library rather than the one in the
standalone folder.
2. you configured/built base with some mistake in the --with-config-file=
option, so it's picking up and using an existing config file from elsewhere on
your system.
3. you configured/built base with some mistake in the --with-default-config=
option, so the built-in defaults are coming from somewhere else on your system.

For reference ... here's a repeat of the email I sent earlier saying what I did
when I was testing the new templates ...

cd make
./configure --with-layout=standalone
make install
. ~/standalone/Makefile/GNUstep.sh
cd ../base
./configure --with-config-file=./ --with-default-config=standalone.conf
make install
cd ../gui
make install
cd ../back
make install

that puts the gnustep core packages into ~/standalone ... then you just need to
copy that wherever you want it inside your app wrapper, and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH

eg.
I build Calculator.app and  tested it ...

mv ~/standalone Calculator.app
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`/Calculator.app/standalone
Calculator.app/Calculator