Re: gnustep-base create $HOME/GNUstep/Library

From: Julián Moreno Patiño
Subject: Re: gnustep-base create $HOME/GNUstep/Library
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:22:57 -0500

Hi,

Could you please identify where/how/why it does that?  My understanding is that the directory should not be created *unless* there is a need to store something into it, so either there is a bug (which I can fix if I know where it is) or something is being written to the directory (I might be able to advise how to avoid that) ... but I need more information.

Yavor Doganov, gnustep-base Debian Maintainer wrote:

gnustep-base makes sure to create it as many methods rely on its existence.  In this case, unar is not using it directly or accessing the defaults database, but it uses the NSDate class, which needs to check the timezone upon initialization, which in turn uses NSUserDefaults to retrieve any user-defined one, etc, etc.

Another hint:

From gnustep-base ChangeLog.2 (entry 2001-10-28):

* Source/NSUserDefaults.m (pathForUser): Create ~/GNUstep/Library
if it doesn't exist.

The upstream of unar wrote:

There's no reason to create that folder BEFORE anything is written to it. unar doesn't even touch the NSUserDefaults class at all.

I think that would be great if the people that use the library could choice if create the dir or not.

Thank you so much for your responses.

Kind regards,

--
Julián Moreno Patiño