Re: gnustep-base create $HOME/GNUstep/Library

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: gnustep-base create $HOME/GNUstep/Library
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:20:07 -0700

> This sort of thing is a recurring (though infrequent) issue ... people who
> don't expect/want to see a GNUstep directory in their home directory, and who
> (often) actively dislike the presence of anything other than the folders they
> are force to have by their operating system.  My impression is that the
> objection arises basically a certain sense of 'tidiness'.
>
> Why don't we just change to using .GNUstep instead of GNUstep by default?

I think that's a great idea, for the default (FHS) filesystem layout.

The FHS document (http://proton.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.pdf) actually
addresses this:

3.8.2. Requirements

User specific configuration files for applications are stored in the user’s
home directory in a file that starts with the ’.’ character (a "dot file"). If
an application needs to create more than one dot file then they should be
placed in a subdirectory with a name starting with a ’.’ character, (a "dot
directory"). In this case the configuration files should not start with the ’.’
character. 11

--Eric