Re: gnustep-using game available as public beta

From: Julian Mayer
Subject: Re: gnustep-using game available as public beta
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 14:49:19 +0100

hey david

> Yes, in theory, but this then needs the user to install Linux versions of all
> of the dependencies (glibc, libicu, Cairo, xlib, GNUstep, and so on), which
> ends up being a huge amount of code.

well gnustep is bundled, and cairo is not needed, but xlib, sdl, etc are still
needed. but is occupying a few hundred MB of disk space really a problem in
this day and age? or is installing these dependencies a manual process?

> I hope to release libobjc2 1.6 in the next week or so.  Clang 3.0 is
> scheduled for the end of the month, and I think we're planning a new GNUstep
> release soon, so hopefully it won't be too long.  They generally make it into
> the ports tree for FreeBSD and OpenBSD pretty quickly, although binary
> packages may take a little bit longer.

i see things are moving faster in the BSD world, thats good.

> By the way, Fred's errors showed you seem to be constructing some
> NSDobuleNumber instances.  Are you creating a lot of them?  If so, would you
> mind running some profiling code for me?  The author of Smalltalk/X gave me a
> good idea for an improvement to NSDoubleNumber that I'd like to implement in
> GNUstep.

i wouldn't mind running profiling code but actually i am using less than a
handful. still not sure where the leak warning is coming from. i think using
NSNumber for the low level rendering would be quite confused - it actually gets
more plain-C-ish down there.

speaking of profiling i made a bad experience there.
valgrind was too slow to be usable, oprofile didn't like my kernel, googles
performance tools seem not to play nice with gnustep (app crashing at startup
with some exception), and i couldn't get gprof to work even with profile=yes  -
could be llvm's fault though. basically i failed doing profiling on my gnustep
app ;-(

btw it seems you made some nice clang objective-c optimization passes for
etoile. how would one go about using them outside of etoile?

bye, julian