Re: Installing GNUstep from source on Debian GNU/Linux SID

From: Csanyi Pal
Subject: Re: Installing GNUstep from source on Debian GNU/Linux SID
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 16:34:42 +0100

Niels Grewe <niels.grewe@halbordnung.de> writes:

> Am 06.02.2012 15:15, schrieb Csanyi Pal:
>> Ivan Vučica <ivucica@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 16:48, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>     How can I start development applications, like ProjectManager,
>>>     ProjectCenter, Gorm, and user applications?
>>
>>> GNUstep was built and installed into /usr/GNUstep. Before being able
>>> to build any GNUstep apps using command line, you'll have to "source"
>>> the GNUstep.sh file. You can enter it whenever building GNUstep apps
>>> in command line, or add it to ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc
>>
>>> $ . /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
>>> This tells various GNUmakefiles where to find GNUstep and how it's
>>> configured.
>>>
>>> Now that we did that, we can actually build apps.
>>>
>>> Additional apps are in ~/gnustep/dev-apps/ and
>>> ~/gnustep/usr-apps/. Just go into the appropriate folder and do:
>>> $ make
>>> $ sudo make install
>>>
>>> You can now easily build and install projectcenter and gorm, and use
>>> them for further development.
>>
>> I have installed now ProjectCenter and Gorm and I can start these only
>> from xterm window.
>>
>> My desktop environment is Window Maker and in this environment I have
>> icons for every application, so one for Gorm and one for ProjectCenter
>> too. I have an issue that I can't to start say Gorm with double click on
>> it's icon: nothing happen than, instead of start it running. This is
>> probably a PATH issue, right?
>>
>> I'm trying to setup PATH so one can start say Gorm using it's icon. I
>> run the command in an xterm window:
>> export PATH=/usr/GNUstep/Local/Applications:$PATH
>>
>> but that doesn't help.
>>
>> I get these in ~/.xsession-errors
>> ProjectCenter: error while loading shared libraries:
>> libProjectCenter.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
>> directory
>> Gorm: error while loading shared libraries: libGormCore.so.1: cannot
>> open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> I tried to edit
>> ~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/autostart
>> . /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
>> export PATH=/home/csanyipal/Programozas/Obj_C_ben/\
>> GNUstep_letoltve_SVN-nel/llvm/Release+Asserts/bin:$PATH
>> export PATH=/usr/GNUstep/Local/Applications:$PATH
>>
>> but that doesn't help too.

> You should add /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/ or wherever those
> libraries live to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that the dynamic linker can
> find them. Usually the GNUstep.sh script from GNUstep make will do that
> for you. Did you source it in your .bashrc/.profile as was previously
> suggested in this thread?

Yes I did source the GNUstep.sh script in more than one files:
~/.bashrc
~/.profile
~/.xinitrc
~/.xsessionrc

The output of env shows me the value of LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/csanyipal/GNUstep/Library/Libraries:\
/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries:\
/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries

--
Regards from Pal