Re: git mirror

From: Lucas Schnorr
Subject: Re: git mirror
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 23:05:26 +0100

Hi again,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 23:01, Philippe Roussel <p.o.roussel@free.fr> wrote:
>> Just to try, I have cloned the gna svn repository using git-svn [1].
>> After almost 24 hours running, it has 4.7 gigabytes, but it contains
>> the whole commit history in my machine. I was thinking to push to
>> github to see how it goes, but they limit the size of repositories to
>> 100 megabytes as far as I remember.
>
> Ok, I'm out ! I thought it would take an order of magnitude less. I stand
> corrected.

Not really. I cloned it again locally but now towards a bare
repository (a bare repository contains only the history, without the
checkout of a revision). Amazing as it seems, the whole Gnustep
history is then compressed to ~120 megabytes. First revision dates
back to 1994. Newest one is from yesterday.

The 4.7 gigabytes contains the Gnustep history plus the checkout of
one of the revisions, in this case the one from February 14th.

Regards,
Lucas