Re: Help - Clang can't find <objc/objc.h> on Ubuntu

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Help - Clang can't find <objc/objc.h> on Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 17:28:11 +0100

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 12:20, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

This is the GCC runtime's objc.h.  You almost certainly want to be using the GNUstep runtime's version instead.  This will install in /usr/locale/include/objc by default, or in your GNUstep headers location if GNUstep Make is installed.

From what I gathered,  OP wants to start coding by using as many packages from Ubuntu as possible, and neither Debian nor Ubuntu ship with GNUstep's runtime as opposed to GCC runtime.

GNUstep runtime is awesome, and I use it. But if OP has different goals (like I used to have), then he might be get away with the GCC runtime.

With that said, people writing new code and people porting code over to GNUstep should definitely avoid the prepackaged binaries of GNUstep (except on Windows) and should instead install from source. At that point, building another runtime (such as the GNUstep runtime) when everything else is already being built is practically the only sane option.

Especially if the runtime being replaced is from GCC 4.5 or older.

--
Ivan Vučica - ivan@vucica.net