Re: pure gnustep system

From: Jamie Ramone
Subject: Re: pure gnustep system
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 00:17:31 -0300

I'm working on my own. I was inspired by an older attempt made by
someone else (who even set up a website and a developers zone) who
eventually and very early on gave up. Development is slow because of
work, faculty and at least the appearance of having a life. Like that
other almost-distro, I based it on LinuxFromScratch, with my own
changes, most notably in the bootscripts and the use of simpleinit
instead of one of the Sys V style ones lyin' around. Another
feature/set-back is that I'm writing the GUI from scratch, mainly
because I consider X Windows to be garbage. It's sorta like the
Y-Windowing system, even in the use of SDL for mediating portably with
the hardware, but designed to use/for using GNUstep. I still have to
write a back end for it and I'm in the process of implementing the
main window database and compositing engine.

I also started implementing a replacement for NeXT's Workspace Manager
and a session manager. I managed to implement a dock that worked the
same That would be what on OPENSTEP is Workspace.app (located under
/usr/lib/NextStep/Workspace.app...and NOT a real app) the next step
would be to implement it's main resource: WM.app, a real app that is
the file and process manager. These two work together into provide the
workspace itself. One provides the dock, app-icons, miniwindows and
window decorations and basic workspace services (which includes
launching apps). The other is the shell itself, with a file manager, a
file finder and a menu and, as soon as it dies, the other one also
goes away, killing all child processes, including all open apps.

While it's not done, my intention is to actually finish it and give
something to the GNUstep and the GNU community something back. If
possible I'd like it to eventually become THE GNUstep OS, the main or
at least the most popular GNUstep centered OS. Like I said, it's still
in it's infancy but hey, dreaming big is dirt cheap! :D