Re: pure gnustep system

From: Dan Hitt
Subject: Re: pure gnustep system
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 02:50:29 +0000

Thanks Riccardo and Stefan for your comments (also Jamie and Ivan).

So i downloaded the iso Stefan recommended, and was pleasantly
surprised that i could boot up my computer with it.

In fact, i'm using it right now (with Chrome as a web browser to type this in).

My biggest puzzle right now is how to install it on a partition on my disk ---
ideally it would be nice to do that directly from the cd but not so clear it is
possible.  So i need to research that further, but would appreciate any
suggestions from anybody.

Some other remarks just for reference:

(1) on boot up the live cd is really interested in dhcp, so one has to wait
     it out (unless, of course, some computer on your local net is doing the
     dhcp thing)

(2) the copy paste doesn't seem exactly right --- i wonder if it is somehow
     being layered on top of the x windows copy paste.  I can copy a string
     from the terminal in the dock to text edit as long as i leave the terminal
     running.  But if i quit the terminal, then the pasteboard server (or
     whatever is doing that job) forgets what has been placed on it, and
     so copying is no longer possible.

(3) right clicking brings up a menu labelled "Debian".  So it is possible
     to have two things that look like a main menu on the screen at once.

These are all small points, at least for now, imvho.  For example, my usb
keyboard works without problem (although in the bootup console it
doesn't).  And the "Debian" thing allows you to get to a web browser and
many other applications.  But if acted like an application itself, it would
be still better i think.

And the GNUstep design, even if so far imperfectly realized, is still better
than anything else (again imvho, and i do think gnome3 is getting better
and better).

So thanks everybody, and i'm all ears for advice on installation from a cd.

I sort of don't like building everything myself because i think it will be
less integrated and have unnecessary glitches or bugs, as well as being
undesirably unique.  I would like to have a base system just like everybody
else's.

dan