Re: First release of corebase coming soon

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: First release of corebase coming soon
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 13:53:40 +0200

On Monday, May 21, 2012 17:42 CEST, Stefan Bidi <stefanbidi@gmail.com> wrote:

> For those of you not familiar with the project, the GNUstep-corebase
> project is a free software implementation of the CoreFoundation library.
>
> I plan on making a release of GNUstep-corebase in a few weeks.  Since this
> is the first release, and the code is still alpha quality at best, I have
> decided to do a prolonged testing phase.  This testing phase will be split
> in 2 subphases.
>
> The first will be a 3 week period, ending June 10th.  This will be the time
> to test the code and look for inconsistencies.  Essentially, I want to make
> sure the code compiles in your favorite platform and all tests pass.  New
> tests can be added to the existing CF-types only, there is no plans to add
> another type/class before the release.  I will still be doing some work on
> the library at this time, but do not plan on adding anything new.
>
> The second phase will end on June 24th and will lead to the release.  This
> is your normal code freeze.  I'd like to get the bugs that were found
> during the previous phase corrected during this time if they were not
> already fixed.  I really do not want to add any new tests at this stage
> unless it is something that can be easily fixed.  Anything requiring a
> deeper look will be postponed to the next release.
>
> To build -corebase you will need gnustep-make, gnustep-base, libobjc,
> libicu and the zoneinfo directory.  The dependency on gnustep-base and
> libobjc will be optional at the time of release.  Being a pure C library,
> corebase doesn't need these libraries unless you want to interface with the
> objc runtime (ie toll-free bridged classes).  I have not decided what to do
> with libicu at this point since it provides core functionality.  If there
> is enough demand, it will be optional as well.
>
> Adam, would you be able to make the release during the week of June 24th?
> I can move the dates around if you need me to.

Compiling on openbsd 5.1 i386, with gnustep-base 1.24.0, gnustep-make 1.6.2,
and gcc-4.6.1 and with libobjc from gcc, I get the following warning when
compiling svn revision 35161:

cc CFStringFormat.c -c \
      -MMD -MP -DGNUSTEP -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -DGNU_GUI_LIBRARY=1
-DGNU_RUNTIME=1 -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -pthread -pthread -fPIC -DDEBUG
-fno-omit-frame-pointer -Wall -DGSWARN -DGSDIAGNOSE -Wno-import -O2 -pipe -g
-DBUILDING_SELF -DMAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED=100700
-I/usr/local/include/ObjectiveC2 -I../Headers -I. -I/usr/local/include
-I/corebase-0.1_writes_to_HOME/GNUstep/Library/Headers -I/usr/local/include \
       -o obj/libgnustep-corebase.obj/CFStringFormat.c.o
CFStringFormat.c: In function '_CFStringAppendFormatAndArgumentsAux':
CFStringFormat.c:1057: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range
of data type

Otherwise, running the test suite, output looks like this:

CFTimeZone/general.m:
Failed test:     general.m:54 ... Daylight Saving time offset at 0 second from
absolute epoch is '3600.000000'.
--- Running tests in CFTree ---
--- Running tests in CFURL ---

CFURL/create.m:
Failed test:     create.m:49 ... Resource specifier of relative url is NULL
--- Running tests in CFURLAccess ---
--- Running tests in CFUUID ---

 261 Passed tests
   2 Failed tests

test: CFArray: unknown operand

One or more tests failed.  None of them should have.
Please submit a patch to fix the problem or send a bug report to
the package maintainer

tests.log attached.

Sebastian