Re: Running Gorm these days on Debian wheezy/sid system

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Running Gorm these days on Debian wheezy/sid system
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 17:18:25 +0200

Am 21.06.2012 um 17:00 schrieb Gregory Casamento:

> This is not a Gorm issue, but a problem with initializing the backend.
>
> That being said, I'm not sure why the debian packagers aren't testing
> the apps with the existing packages.   I can't confirm that they're
> not, only that it SEEMS like they're not based on this kind of thing
> happening.
>
> Nevertheless, perhaps the onus is on us to produce more consistent
> releases.  Anyway...
>
> For a while now, however, I've been toying with the idea of having my
> server automatically create daily, monthly or weekly debian packages
> and also serving a debian package repo so that we could simply point
> people there to keep up to date.  Just a thought.

It is a good idea. I am doing it almost that way with mySTEP/QuantumSTEP
for a while and it works fine and simplifies life. Especially since I
cross-compile
i386, armel and mipsel packages. I just  test&debug on one machine and
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade does the magic of distribution.

I had mentioned it (very briefly) in my FOSDEM 2012 presentation:

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/FOSDEM_2012#List_of_submitted_talk.2Fdiscussion.2Fsession_proposals

direct link (page 3):

http://download.goldelico.com/quantumstep/FOSDEM%202012.pdf

So my recommendation is to go forward. A tricky thing is to have
all package makefiles include a definiton for package dependencies
that end up in the .deb. And there should be some meta-packages
to make initial installation easier.

Nikolaus