Re: SWK - problem building the framework

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: SWK - problem building the framework
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:18:49 +0200

Hi Nikolaus,

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
Hi,
could we please discuss such topics because it
is a multi-platform project?

I just found a patch committed to the repository instead.

I could argue that GNUstep make is broken, because it does
not understand #import "DOMHTML.h" as being the same.

Note the source did compile fine on mySTEP and MacOS X.
Both appear to cope better with the unmodified source.

But nevertheless the fix for GNUstep is not harmful to
compilation on the other platforms so it is ok.

Indeed, I was able to compile on Mac 10.4 without problems. Also Gregory tested it with his buildtool and it works.

Apparently, GNUstep make (at lest in the way i wrote the makefile) has a problem when importing locally ("") a header file that will be later exported in the framework since it duplicates it in a separate derived_src directory where, being it a separate file #import will reimport it.

Is this indeed a problem with GNUstep make and not just a missing option or wrong way in writing the makefile?

Apparently, using <> to import only for exported headers works, but is it correct? and does it work with other build system / platforms? It would be a limitation of gnustep, but at least we have a best practice for portable code. That is Greg's patch.

I hope Nicola or Richard or other experts can shed some light in here.

Riccardo