Re: compilation error - first objective c program

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: compilation error - first objective c program
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 09:55:36 +0100

On Saturday, January 12, 2013 14:12 CET, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org>
wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2013, at 13:07, patrick dudjalija wrote:
>
> > Now, for the future, i understand that i should use another compiler ? Any
> > suggestion ?
>
> Clang is the compiler where Objective-C development happens actively.  I
> believe that there are OpenBSD packages.

There is clang/llvm 3.2 available, enabled for the archs:  amd64 i386 powerpc
mips64 mips64el sparc sparc64

Reason for not using clang/llvm on OpenBSD still was the problem that some of
the application were looking really
weirdo when compiling -gui with > -OX and X>1.
But have to admit, the last time I tried was with clang 3.0 or so, things may
have changed.
But I'm just installing new version, so

GNUstep packages are available for macppc, i386, amd64. But when you want to
develop, I'd recommend to install
the stuff from ports. First install the packages, to get all the dependencies
(pkg_add -i gnustep-desktop)
Then remove all the packages again (pkg_delete gnustep-base gnustep-make
gnustep-libobjc2)
Then put

DEBUG=-g

in your /etc/mk.conf

and then install from ports: cd /usr/ports/x11/gnustep && make install
This will keep your sources around, and will compile everything with debug
symbols, so you should be able
to thoroughly debug with gdb. I recommend installing gdb as a package too, and
then use this.
This will not crash that often on you while debugging ;)
Also for my private development, I'm heavily leveraging the ports
infrastructure in order to keep
my build environment clean.

Note, that all the packages are based on releases, so "lacking a bit" behind
current development in subversion.
The long release cycles of the base libraries make it a bit harder to run
bleeding edge ;)

If you have more questions or problems with GNUstep on OpenBSD, you may contact
me privately.
I'm happy to hear about that, and help out.

cheers,
Sebastian