Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-07-07

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-07-07
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 07:54:35 +0100

On 9 Jul 2013, at 07:37, Graham Lee <graham@iamleeg.com> wrote:

> On 9 Jul 2013, at 05:34, "Richard Frith-Macdonald"
> <richardfrithmacdonald@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd appreciate any information from OSX coders about what we should actually
>> be doing.
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> Here's one explanation of the macros from someone within Apple:
>
> http://lists.apple.com/archives/xcode-users/2005/Aug/msg00399.html
>
> …min_allowed and …max_defined act as sort of brackets for client code to
> select different paths based on what OS X SDK they're compiling for.
>
> To me, it doesn't make sense for GNUstep to define them. On
> apple-apple-apple, API availability is determined by the Apple frameworks. On
> gnu-gnu-gnu, API availability is a moving target, and something that doesn't
> correspond cleanly to any one Apple release, now or at any other time.
>
> My suggestion would be for such tests to consistently pass or fail in
> GNUstep, with recommendation that people who have code that depends on them
> have a condition that explicitly satisfies #ifdef GNUSTEP with behaviour
> correct for the release of -base/-GUI they're using.

Thanks ... that's kind of what I thought the position was when I removed the
define of MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED
So maybe IK was right, and I should remove it again.

But ... what about people porting OSX code to GNUstep?  If we define this then
presumably there's a bigger chance that they can just take their OSX source and
compile it unchanged.