Re: Graphos news

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Graphos news
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 09:22:26 +0200

Hi,

William F. Adams wrote:
On Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:58:55 AM UTC-4, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

That last makes me curious though --- why a new  file format?  Why not use
serve existing standard?

  I'd be thrilled if you would use Metapost as a file format for instance. I'd
dearly love a tool like Tikzedt which would allowed one to switch between
coding and direct drawing.

I just enhanced the GDraw format, the "father" of Graphos, of which the current application is essentially a deep restructured and rewritten version: the core itself is the original one, Graphos should be able to open the original files, even though now it has a different format since 0.3: it correctly saves ordering and will so enhance on it in the future, where I try to retain read capability of a couple of previous versions, but no write capability.

Why this format? One should ask Enrico, but the answer is almost certainly that it i s very convenient in GNUstep to write such a file. It is a Plist, for which GNUstep has native tools to do reading and writing and the format itself is closely a serialization of the in-memory representation.

Nothing prevents in the future to add Read and/or write capabilities for other formats though. Interesting projects for the future, if somebody wants to step in and help? I think it would be a matter to read the file and "convert" it to the plist needed in pieces, since each object is capable of initializing itself from a set of properties. Now that "zoom" has been factored out of each object as a separate property, this is more doable, 1 month ago it would have been a pain, so I'm happy to have tackled such work.

For now I want to complete the basic "debugging" and addition of the most basic needed features. It has been already a long journey!

Riccardo