Re: OS's menu?

From: Lundberg, Johannes
Subject: Re: OS's menu?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 18:41:05 +0900

Ah, I see. Thanks a lot.

Yeah, for Viking we need something completely different. Most likely we'll design something from scratch.

The reason for these question are for building a platform independent IDE for Viking.

Johannes Lundberg
BRILLIANTSERVICE CO., LTD.

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:36 PM, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
On 31 Jul 2013, at 10:33, "Lundberg, Johannes" <johannes@brilliantservice.co.jp> wrote:

> How about FreeBSD? Depends on the window manager I suppose but are there any options today?

The window manager is not responsible for menus, the toolkit is.  GNUstep has three options for menus:

- Floating (NeXT style)
- In-window (Windows style)
- At the top of the screen (Mac style)

See the NSMenuInterfaceStyle user defaults setting.  I have it set to NSMacintoshInterfaceStyle on OS X, so I get the top-of-the-screen menu style.

For Viking, you will almost certainly want to define a new menu style.  We talked a little bit in the past (Banlu, as I recall, was quite enthusiastic about the idea) about adding a pie menu style, which would be quite a nice fit for something like Viking, but I don't think anyone wrote the code.

David

-- Sent from my Cray X1