Building under Cygwin

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Building under Cygwin
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 01:11:40 +0200

Hello all,

I'm trying to build GNUstep Base under Cygwin. So far, I've done the following

cd gnustep/core/make
./configure --enable-debug-by-default --with-layout=gnustep --prefix=/GNUstep
make && make install
cd -

. /GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
cd gnustep/core/base
./configure --with-ffi-include=/usr/lib/libffi-3.0.13/include --disable-icu --disable-libdispatch
make

I've disabled ICU simply because I'm connecting over a metered connection, and 15mb+ is just a bit too much for me to install right now.

I've disabled libdispatch because its presence was incorrectly detected by configure; header called 'dispatch.h' exists in Cygwin's /usr/include/w32api/, which is enough to trigger an attempted inclusion of this file by GSDispatch.h.

I'm having trouble with the following though:

 Compiling file objc-load.m ...
objc-load.m: In function ‘GSPrivateSymbolPath’:
objc-load.m:299:32: error: request for member ‘category_name’ in something not a structure or union
objc-load.m:313:46: error: request for member ‘class_name’ in something not a structure or union
objc-load.m:314:25: error: request for member ‘class_name’ in something not a structure or union
objc-load.m:316:40: error: request for member ‘category_name’ in something not a structure or union
objc-load.m:317:25: error: request for member ‘category_name’ in something not a structure or union
/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/rules.make:468: recipe for target `obj/libgnustep-base.obj/objc-load.m.o' failed

I'm using the GCC and the GCC runtime, since they come with Cygwin and I don't feel like playing with getting Clang (or, even worse, compiling it). I'm not installing libobjc2, at least not until the GCC-only setup works... GCC is 4.7.3.

$ gcc --version | head -n1
gcc (GCC) 4.7.3

Tips?

--