Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 16:11:25 +0200

Hi,

David Chisnall wrote:
I don't think 100% compatibility with OS X 10.8 is nearly as relevant as 'look,
runs this application on *NIX which only runs on OS X >=10.7'.  No one cares if
we've implemented 100% of all of the 10.8 Cocoa APIs, they care about the
particular subset that their application uses.  We may not implement that either,
but a few case studies are great.

A few years ago, Bean was good because it required 10.4 and worked on GNUstep
and looked reasonable with the GNOME and Windows themes.  Now we need something
new.
And we never got Bean really to work! It was worth a screenshot, but it shows bugginess, incompleteness, etc etc. Start that it will not work out-of-the box because certain color encoding, fix that and you get to whole parts of UI commented out, bugs, small and big problems. So a good start... but nothing ever finished, not enough to say "Bean is a full gnustep citizen". Thus we never got a Bean-GS release, no new screenshot no news, again the same vicous cycle. It's there 90% perhaps.

But for sure, such announcements are those that get blogged, get on websites, tweets and magazines. Much more than just something static on a website. It is the continuous flux of news, but then also substance and the delivered product.

Riccardo