Objective-C in the FreeBSD Kernel progress

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Objective-C in the FreeBSD Kernel progress
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 11:54:07 +0100

Hi Everyone,

Those of you who came to the DevSummit will have met Krystof already.  For
those that didn't, he's my summer intern and has been working on putting an
Objective-C runtime in the FreeBSD kernel.  The runtime is largely based on the
GNUstep runtime, but with some legacy stuff stripped out and with some cleanups
to the ABI (since we don't need to be backwards compatible with any existing
Objective-C code).  He's also been hacking on clang to support this ABI.

As of this week, he managed to get libunwind running in the kernel as well, so
you can even throw exceptions from Objective-C in the kernel (this is required
for getting Smalltalk to work, as we use exceptions for non-local returns).
The code still needs some cleanup, but it's quite promising.

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11