Re: How to add Objective-C to GCC

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: How to add Objective-C to GCC
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 08:57:29 +0100

On 18 Aug 2013, at 23:49, Germán Arias <german@xelalug.org> wrote:

> On 2013-08-18 14:16:47 -0600 WaveOS <project.amsterdam07@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm installing gnustep on a system where i have GCC 4.1.2 without
>> objective-c
>> support.
>>
>> i had added sucessfully gnustep-make, gnuste-base generates lots of
>> GNUstepmakefiles
>> and even, when i tried to build Gworkspace, it had configure properly
>> without
>> asking for gnustep-gui.
>>
>> But when i send "make install" i have the "objective-c compiler no
>> installed".
>>
>> I tried to bootstrap again GCC 4.1.2 and nothing. This is a system called
>> Syllable 0.6.6 wich i'm actually tweaking..
>
> In most distros you should install the package named gobjc.

GCC 4.1.2 is really old, however (2006?) and there were quite a few Objective-C
bugs fixed in GCC 4.2.  As I recall, 4.1 had a nasty bug involving constant
strings (not sure when this was fixed, possibly by 4.1.2), so it's probably not
a good choice.  Is there a reason why you can't use clang?

David