back/x11 XIM fix [was: Re: Gworkspace with non-fragile abi, etc?]

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: back/x11 XIM fix [was: Re: Gworkspace with non-fragile abi, etc?]
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:39:08 -0600

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. I'll just address this one question:

> 3) XIM at X11 backends
> To input non-latin character at text box of gnustep applicaton, I tried
> all XIM such as ibus, scim, uim, fcitx, but failed. After then, this
> document was found:
> Input ( http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/I18n )
>    NSTextInput protocol
>    NSInputManager
> Current Status
>    Currently we use XIM. It is only available on systems that use the
> X11 backends.
> Default backend at linux seems to be cairo. Does not cairo backend
> support XIM? When backend was changed into xlib, applications were not
> excuted as failed to load true-type fonts.
> Because direct keyboard input is not allowed, indirect and incomplete
> copy-paste input is only available.

Yes, XIM should work with cairo (or any of the graphics backends, as long as
the window server backend is x11). However, it looks like I broke XIM support
over a year ago. :-( I just committed a fix for now:

        * Source/x11/XIMInputServer.m: Add the setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "") call
        back that I removed last year (r35152).

        I tested the fcitx input method, and without the setlocale call,
        XOpenIM would fail. I'm not sure what the best plan is in the long
        term, I wanted to avoid calling setlocale from the core frameworks
        but in this case xlib seems to require it.

To test gnustep with fcitx, I ran:

export XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx

in my shell before launching Ink, and then was able to press ctrl+space to
enter Chinese characters.

Could you try doing an svn update on core/back and see if the fix works for you?

Cheers,
Eric