Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 21:36:41 +0200

Am 11.09.2013 um 21:28 schrieb Gregory Casamento:

The issue is that the money will be under the FSF's control. I would much rather this be an independent effort since we would have absolute control over where and how the money is spent.

Yes, that would probably be better.

The FSF is, primarily, an advocacy organization not a fundraising organization.

Well, let me share two immediate thoughts:
* GNU(step) is one of the core FSF projects. What is the message to the world if a GNU project "circumvents" FSF? Do we have a problem with FSF?
* why does it work for Replicant or MediaGoblin (or doesn't it)?

Nikolaus

Greg

On 2013-09-11 10:58:53 -0600 Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I wanted to share that the kickstarter will most likely fail to get funding
> at this point, but all isn't lost.
>
> There were a number of fundamental things that I learned from doing this:
>
> 1) Marketing ourselves correctly is extremely important...  attracting
> people to help us make the project better is key to making GNUstep better
> for everyone
>
> 2) I should have been more realistic in my goals on the kickstarter.  We
> are, honestly around 10.3 in some APIs, 10.4 in others and 10.7 in others.
> An honest assessment of our states on a class by class, method by method
> level is what's really needed.
>
> 3) The period of the kickstarter should have been longer and the goal
> should probably have been around 20K instead of 50K.
>
> The benefits of the campaign have been:
>
> 1) It has raised awareness of the project
>
> 2) It has let everyone know that we are still alive and that we are
> following cocoa and we are both a development environment and an
> environment which will allow porting.
>
> 3) It has brought us potential contributors whom I will contact ASAP.
>
> So, in any case, I am certain that doing the kickstarter was the right
> thing to do.  As I said at it's beginning, whether it's successful or not
> it's effects in the first couple of days made it very clear that the net
> effect was a positive one.
>
> I will need the help of the team to decide what the next campaign should be
> aimed at and how best to go about that.   I will send another email later
> to follow up on this.  In the interim, if anyone has any ideas about how we
> could make it better, please reply here. :)

I still think that request a fundraising campaign at FSF, is a good idea.
Currently Replicant has its campaign, see:

https://www.fsf.org/news/fsf-launches-fundraising-program-for-replicant-the-fully-free-android-based-mobile-os

Some months ago GNU MediaGoblin raises more than 60,000 dollars.
I don't saying that GNUstep can attempt this amount. But, could help.

Germán.

--
Gregory Casamento
(240)274-9630 (Cell)