Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 12:52:22 -0500

In article <mailman.1962.1379003464.10748.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Doug Simons <doug.simons@testplant.com> wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2013, at 4:03 AM, David Chisnall wrote:
>
> > We could almost certainly provide them with an automated tool that they can
> > run on their codebase that would give them a pretty clear idea of the OS X
> > APIs that they use.  Actually, providing such a tool with the ability to
> > produce a report against the current version of GNUstep showing what is
> > missing would be very helpful for a lot of projects.
>
> If such a tool could be produced, I think it would be a tremendous asset for
> GNUstep. I suspect there are plenty of developers of applications for OS X
> who would be interested in porting to GNUstep but are put off by the daunting
> task involved in making the effort, especially knowing that there are almost
> certainly some things missing but not knowing how extensive those gaps might
> be.

I disagree.  What you want to do is engage developers as much as
possible with as little effort as possible.  Don't give them a tool that
has them holding GNUstep at arms length like a stinky diaper.  Instead,
you have to make the porting effort less daunting from the get-go.  Or,
rather, make the effort in line with the reward.  Like Graham said, many
developers won't be bothered with even zero effort mainly, I think,
because they expect zero reward.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, theremailer.net,