Re: draft of a new Open Source Commercial License

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: draft of a new Open Source Commercial License
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:44:40 +0100

On 18 September 2013 10:31, Pirmin Braun <pb@intars.de> wrote:

> If there is one around, that suites our case, I'd be glad to use it.

Look harder. Look at dual licensing.

I'm sorry, I know this is not what you want to hear, but seriously, I
think you are making a serious mistake.

> the planned implementation would display a message on every user login
> explaining very clear where they are and produce a daily summary of how many
> peak concurrent named users were active and what that means.

Let me translate that:

"You don't know advance if you have violated the licence. But we will
tell you the moment you do!"

_No_ sane company would go for that.

> but how would you call a group of 100 women where 1 of them is pregnant?

Irrelevant.

> The world is full of things like "free entrance for children younger than 5
> years"
> but (in case it's your business model) you wouldn't write a sign "free
> entrance for persons younger than 100 years"
> instead you would put it "free entrance for everybody (except you're 99 or
> older)"

Still irrelevant. I am sorry, but it is.

You are shooting yourself in the foot. There is no advantage to you in
this route, and it will take extra effort. It is a bad plan.

As the launch announcement for OSv said today:

"These days, credibility == open source"

Not open source? Not credible.

You're not Free.

This will mean lots of potential parties will not be interested, no
matter how cool the product.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884