Re: display UTF-8 characters

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: display UTF-8 characters
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 12:28:24 -0600

Hi,

Thanks for the info, looks like those are the latest releases of gui/back and
you're using the recommended backend (cairo), which is good. AFAIK it should be
using fontconfig to find system fonts and "mknfonts" will not have any effect.
As well, we use fontconfig to automatically find fallback fonts, so setting a
particular font with "defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSFont "DejaVu Sans""
should not be necessary.

Couple more questions:

- Is it that typing Š, š, ė doesn't work, or are these strings coming from a
calendar server and don't show up? Do you get "glyph not found" boxes or
nothing shows up? Could you post a screenshot?
- Could you give the "Ink" application a try (in the gnustep-examples package)
and see if you can copy and paste Š, š, ė from a non-GNUstep application into
Ink?

If you have time, it would be helpful if you could try uninstalling the gnustep
packages and installing gnustep from svn.

Thanks,
Eric

On 2013-09-21, at 8:40 AM, Nerijus Baliunas <nerijus@users.sourceforge.net>