Re: Themes (again)

From: Liam Proven
Subject: Re: Themes (again)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 13:21:25 +0100

On 26 September 2013 11:47, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
> [...] I don't want people to be put off by the applications looking ugly.
>
> So, my question is: do we have a single theme that works, is complete, and
> doesn't look like a throwback to the early '90s?

Since this thread is still growing, I feel I have to tip in my 2¢'s worth.

IMHO, NeXTstep was *the* best-looking OS ever released on any
hardware, and what originally drew me to Window Maker and GNUstep is
its elegance and beauty.

Every other theme included in Window Maker is vastly poorer and more
cheap and amateurish-looking than the default; I always exert great
care not to choose any of them, as I've never found a way back.

This is one reason I can't abide KDE - it looks *vile* to me, with its
horrible shading and garish colours like a cheap, nasty plastic toy.

To this day, I think the default GNUstep theme of restrained greys and
blacks is one of the most distinctive, smart, elegantly restrained
looks in the entire world of GUIs on any and all computers. I think
we'd be mad to throw it away.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884