Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-09-27

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and Debian packages / 2013-09-27
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 23:02:07 +0200

On 2013-10-06 22:40:25 +0200 Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

Markus Hitter wrote:
Well said. The taste of everybody else is formed by the rest of the distribution. I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of things being "better" or "worse", it's a matter of what people are used to. Not respecting this will annoy people, no matter how good the intentions are. A margin to diverge from this for bringing in improvements exists, but is quite small.
Well, on the other side, I want to offer soemthing alternative to Unity which is complete and has its own interface style

Sure, that's possible. But only as a full desktop, be it GNUstep-Ubuntu or based on another widespread distribution. Then it's not a competition GNUMail <-> Thunderbird (which I'd give good chances), but a competition standard Ubuntu <-> GNUstep desktop (which is trickier).

Integrating GNUstep apps well into other desktops makes people getting used to the apps (the parts aside from icon handling and menus), so it even raises the chances of the full desktop.

Markus