Re: GNUstep Objective-C based CalDAV server

From: Doc O'Leary
Subject: Re: GNUstep Objective-C based CalDAV server
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 11:26:44 -0500

In article <mailman.4734.1382728381.10748.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Ivan Vuãica <ivan@vucica.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 5:44 PM, Doc O'Leary <
> droleary@6usenet2013.subsume.com> wrote:
>
> > I think you're looking at the wrong problem.  It's mainly an issue of
> >  getting some objects you have coerced into the iCalendar format.  I do
> > this, for example, with calendaRSS:
> >
> > http://cal.subsume.com/
> >
> > No special server needed.  The current server version uses Ruby, but the
> > original version from 2002 used ObjC.  I could send you the class file,
> > but it was simple enough for my special case of RSS feeds that I hard
> > coded a lot of it.
> >

> Are you sure Andreas doesn't need changes made inside the iOS calendar to
> propagate back into their application?

I not sure of anything.  :-)  Using calendars for database input,
though, seems quite convoluted.  If I had to do that for some reason, I
wouldn't set out to write CalDAV server in ObjC.  I would instead use an
existing server and just find a hook to run ObjC code (or any language,
really) when changes are made to calendars/events.

> CalDAV allows that, unlike a read-only stream provided in an .ics over HTTP.

True enough.  Keep in mind, too, that whatever way is chosen, input from
the calendar still requires parsing the iCalendar format and/or writing
to an API that has done the parsing (e.g., Apple's EventKit).  It's not
particularly complicated, but it is non-standard enough that it'll
likely require more work than just using a common RESTful API using XML
or JSON.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, theremailer.net,