Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 01:24:46 +0000

Which are vast, complicated and take a lot of time, effort, focus and planning to be tackled (much less resolved).

It's hardly enough to point at what consumer wants (or else even I would have been able to singlehandedly make GNUstep the number-one platform), it's much harder to cut it down to a sensible, ordered, organised set of requirements that can be tackled by a good and focused team, and even harder is it to convince potential users that this is what they really want.

So... Yes. Darling is something that by itself can't change much. It's great to have and try and use as basis for finding issues in our implementation. It's not a good goal by itself. Short term, a good dev tool. Long term, a nice wine-like thing that can be used to enhance free platforms.

But just saying "this is what customer wants" without considering if it is a viable motivating short term goal? Without considering that it is a moonshot (a great moonshot, but still a moonshot)? That's unrealistic, raises expectations unnecessarily and does not help in providing for-GNUstep developers the tools needed to deliver quality GNUstep-first apps.

A cash register, a cloud manager, an invoicing app, etc.