Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 17:11:44 +0100

Am 20.12.2013 16:05, schrieb David Chisnall:
> - svn or git views of the repo, so developers can use either

That's possible with pure SVN repos, too. git-svn will check out a SVN
repo just fine and you can work with it as if it were a Git repo.

> - An easy way for people to branch / submit patches

Actually, you can neither and I consider this to be the weakest point of
Github. You can only fork and this forked repo is invisible from the
originating repo. Also, sending patches is extremely awkward, because
attaching files to bug reports is straight out not possible. You have to
fork, clone the fork again (or fuss with git remote), move patches over
there, too, push back to Github, then send a pull request. That done the
maintainer has to git-remote-add the fork to pick over (or merge) the
patch. This "merge" button on the web page is pointless, because it
doesn't allow to review the patch. Not to mention that merging is a bit
old fashioned when using Git, cherry-picking and rebasing opens new
horizons.

I'm writing this as one who hosts three active projects on Github. If
you can deal with the disallowance of patch/file uploads (and the
resulting lack of patch contributions), Github is fine. It's indeed the
least sucking one and very visible.

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter