Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 00:34:28 +0100

Am 20.12.2013 21:04, schrieb James Carthew:
> I see a gnustep desktop as having at first boot the user choose
> apple, next, or windows GUI style giving the best of all worlds and the
> user total control.

While you have a few very good ideas, I simply can't wrap my head around
why everybody thinks in terms of whole distributions. With a complete
distro you have ten times more non-GNUstep work than this small group
can afford and, worse, you compete directly with the big distros. The
chance to become more popular than Ubuntu is probably 0.00001%, no
matter how excellent this GNUstep distro works.

And no, average people don't install distros just for fun. Typical end
users run the OS their PC came with and retire the PC when this OS is no
longer usable. Even the big distros struggle a lot to overcome this
laziness. Accordingly, trying to do a whole distro is a sure recipe for
staying small and invisible.

If you integrate GNUstep into existing distros, including Windows and
Mac OS X, you compete just on the application level. And the chance for
e.g. GNUmail to become as popular as Thunderbird are many orders of
magnitude higher.

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter