Re: This thing we called GNUstep (Re: Kickstarter was not successful...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: This thing we called GNUstep (Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 16:00:43 +0100

Pirmin,

Pirmin Braun wrote:
Am Fri, 20 Dec 2013 16:53:25 -0500
schrieb Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com> :

What is more effective is to change GNUstep's look so that it appeals to a
wider audience
do we need another GUI?
Since 30 years thousands of programmers try to build graphical desktop
environments. Probably billions of dollars were spent. Now we've seen Chromium,
Ajax, Android, OS/2, GEM, Windows 3.11/95/XP/7/8/8.1 GNOME, KDE, Xfce, LXDE,
Enlightenment, Unity, Cinnamon, MATE, NeXTSTEP, MOS.. just to name some. Most
of them suck. Very few of them are popular. Maybe this is a task too big for
mankind. Maybe the whole concept with this one-dot pointing device is wrong.
What will GNUstep with no budget and only a dozen programmers do different to
bring up the final, long awaited holy grail of ultimate graphical desktop
environment?
We are trying quite some years now. What makes you hope the big break through
will happen next year? And even if it would happen, will any user of a popular
UI dump it in favour of GNUstep?

I don't think it is a too big task. Too many stupid factors deceive from creating a good guy. I see GNUstep getting closer and closer. Perhaps it is me adapting to it, perhaps it is eveloving.
I don't care about Windows 8, Mac, Unity. GNOME smashed on a wall by itself.

It will happen of course only if people will work on it. 10 Years ago I had seen something that was barely usable as a Desktop. In the past years it became better and better and I am using id more and more for my daily duties! Progress is continuous.

There is no need to invent something take from the past. NeXT and OpenStep were just fine. Then I think what do I like of Mac, what I do not.

I think that GS being generally portable is interesting, but as somebody did note, NeXTs tight integration with the OS was a strong point and that can still be achieved, I'd use e.g. a *BSD core.

Riccardo