Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 20:35:34 +0100

Hi,

Markus Hitter wrote:
Am 21.12.2013 15:11, schrieb Ivan Vučica:
I could understand this observation if GNUmail were actually integrated.
But it isn't. If you install GNUmail from Debian packages you get
something very old and buggy, if you install from Phillipes packages,
you get something ignoring and trying to replace Unity and something
compiled for older releases.
Sadly, supplied packages are exceedingly outdated and terribly packaged.
How does the old GNUMail work differently than the
Actually I'm tempted to fix this situation by providing current packages
via a PPA and eventually forwarding these to Debian, but I also can't
get rid of the impression here is no interest in the results. Manually
built packages are undoubtly a honorable effort, but why the heck are
they built for no less than four older Ubuntu releases, but not the
current one? Why is there no interest in showing up with them in Ubuntus
software center? Why do I get answers along "oh, NeXTstep is so modern"
if I point out incompatibilities with current user expectations? Why do
most people here expect users to compile software from tarballs? Outside
of GNUstep people are used to use appstores (which Ubuntu provides).
I absolutely agree. Tarballs should be there for the experienced user or for use of packagers. The end-user should install stuff using their package system. E.g. various interfaces to apt-get. App-"store" for a FOSS project is a bit ridiculous :) BUt the concept of course is basically the same.
I maintain three open source projects already as a one man show, so I'm
not exactly keen on adding a fourth one. :-)

Sorry if this sounds like ranting, I just try to describe the
differences between what I see here and what I see elsewhere.
Well, I understand your views, I have different needs, but something is just not working. I really do not care about unity and I just install windowmaker, but all your reasoning about packages is perfectly valid.

But what can I do if the main distribution I use myself packages my work as shit? Can you please feel the pain and excruciating frustration passing countless hours debugging applications and not seeing them packaged? Debian makes me so frustrated that I think I will post about it on my blog, since it gets into GNU planet, I expect some fuzz, so I always refrained doing so.

What version of GWorkspace would you be able to get? Last time I checked, 0.8.8, which was a slightly patched version before I even was officially maintainer. Do you know how many bugs, crashers, problems were solved? It is years old.

Riccardo