Re: Right place to discuss probable issues in libobjc2?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Right place to discuss probable issues in libobjc2?
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 14:18:05 -0800

On 22 Jan 2014, at 12:25, Derek Fawcus
<dfawcus+lists-gnustep-discuss@employees.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 09:29:04am -0800, David Chisnall wrote:
>> Thanks for the report.  This is now fixed in r37623, which will correctly
>> use mkstemp() on most POSIX platforms and will now use the anonymous shared
>> memory regions on FreeBSD so we don't need the mkstemp path at all.
>
> Well,  given that most posix (e.g. bsd, solaris, linux, xnu) platforms support
> anonymous shared memory regions,  why not simply use it on those,  and have
> fallback code for any odd one's which don't (windows sus?).
>
>    mmap(0, len, prot, MAP_ANON, -1, offset);

The code in question needs to make the same memory in two different places with
different permissions (to enforce W^X mappings).  Using anonymous maps as this
code does, does not permit that.  I'm happy to accept patches for supporting
other operating systems with similar functionality, but given that FreeBSD is
the platform that I use, it is the one that got supported first.

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11