Re: Request for update and/or release of GDL2 and Renaissance

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Request for update and/or release of GDL2 and Renaissance
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:59:34 +0000

On 30 Jan 2014, at 12:47, Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:

> - GNUstep puts much emphasis on manual installation.

Not true.  We're happy to engage with packagers.  It is true that we aim to
make manual installation easy, because packages are useless to GNUstep
contributors, who (obviously) work from trunk and if we want to encourage
contributors then we need to make it easy to set up a development environment.

> - It isn't really packageable, because GNUstep insists on a
> framework/bundle centric installation, while about all non-Mac-OS-X
> unices insist on a FHS-type file layout.

Not true.  The FreeBSD packages use the GNUstep layout inside
/usr/local/GNUstep and I believe the OpenBSD packages do something similar.
Debian is the only system I know of that insists on FHS layout for packages,
although RedHat prefers it.

> - Attempts to improve the latter regularly result in bitter fights and
> long flame wars.

Patches to improve the latter are always welcome and I don't recall any being
rejected.  Most GNUstep developers prefer the sane layout, but if a particular
distribution has a policy of forcing files to be scattered all over the system
then we aim to provide support for them.

> - Quite a number of smaller issues with the build system add on top of
> the latter two.
>
> - The possibility to install GNUstep apps without changing the entire
> desktop is almost ignored, which results in close to zero users.

Yes, obviously the reason that we put a lot of time and effort into things like
the GNOME theme and the Unity menu integration is that we don't want people to
use GNUstep without changing their entire DE.

David

-- Sent from my PDP-11