Re: teaching gworkspace about my file types

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: teaching gworkspace about my file types
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 23:43:39 +0100

Hi,

let me clarify with an example, since I added confusion.

Michael P. Soulier wrote:
On 20/03/14 Riccardo Mottola said:

> did you run "make_services" after installing your wrappers?
No. I thought something like that would be run automatically at GWorkspace
startup.
on GNUstep it is not, MacOS-X runs the service regularly for you. On GS it should be run at the end of a "make install" or by the package install script of your current OS distribtuion. If not, or if you shuffle things around manually, you need to rerun it. Rerunning it does not harm at all.

> Go to the content inspector, you should see the associated
> applications. If you have more than one, you can choose by
> douple-clicking and overriding the default.
If I right-click on an .odp file, and go to tools -> inspectors -> contents,
all I get is a dialog for the Desktop folder. I think I must be using it
incorrectly.
I was typing from memory, it is the "tool" inspector. The content inspector might offer you a preview, if a suited module is available. But the contents inspector are unrelated to the corresponding applications.

First, to check if NSWorkspace (which GWorkspace calls) knows about your filetype, see if there are tools associated with it. This would be Workspace's equivalent of your "right click" notion. You might have one or more apps associated with it, with one default. If you have an app, the Workspace knows about your filetype. if doupleclicking doesn't open the file, there is another problem (perhaps the app or the wrapper are not working or something else is bogus).

the "Unknown" icon which might have fooled you, is not directly connected to the problem. One thing is the document icon, one thing is the app icon. You might have an App which does not provide a Doc icon.

In my example, I show you the setup of images on my own laptop. I can open TIFF files (*.tif) with both PRICE and LaternaMagica. However, none of these applications supplies a document icon, thus the standard "?" icon is shown.

I can however open my images with both apps at my choice.

See screenshot.

Riccardo