Re: Scripting!

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: Scripting!
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 10:31:22 +0200

> Hi,
>
> Am 01.05.2014 um 02:21 schrieb Kevin Ingwersen:
>
>> Hey!
>>
>> To explain this subject just a little. I come from actual web development -
>> my roots are deeply in PHP. The only reason I ever learned C++, followed by
>> C, was due to the need to write a php extension. But due to my C++ lectures,
>> I came across objective-c, and fell in love with its syntax, basicaly x).
>> But this made me ask the following question:
>>
>> Why is this not available in scripting?
>>
>> A year later, I had to ask:
>>
>> Is it even possible to use a scripting language, based on ObjC syntax,
>> outside of OS X?
>>
>> To be honest, why is there none? Objective-C is a great language - not just
>> for GUI coding. I find that its named parameters are a key-concept. It
>> simply makes function calls so much more understandable - even when you
>> return to your project a year later. My favorite example that I show friends
>> is an actual person. See:
>>
>> Mother* mom = [[Mother alloc] init];
>> [mom pleaseBring:@"beer" to:@"Sofa" withAmount:1];
>>
>> I do not need to explain this, do I :)
>>
>> But, I have not given up. Years after my discovery, I have had times where I
>> took google searches…and at a random sudden, Objective-J was created! This
>> is one amazing concept, as I see it. But the downside: You can’t embed it.
>>
>> So I wanted to ask this Objective-C community here: Is there a viable,
>> cross-platform, scripting language with actual ObjC syntax? If not - why! :)
>
> I am not aware of any Obj-C interpreter.
>
> But there is Fscript: http://www.fscript.org/
>
> which is some scripting language to inspect and manipulate Obj-C objects.
>
> But it uses a different syntax and appears to be the opposite of what you are
> looking for.

Fscript is a dialect of Smalltalk, so the syntax is much like that of
Objective-C, except you don't need the square brackets. :-)

Incidentally, GNUstep for long has its own scripting environment, which uses
Smalltalk as well: StepTalk.
It's just a bit poorly maintained and AFAICT currently doesn't work on OS X.

Wolfgang