Re: GNUstep on Ubuntu 14.04

From: jimserac
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Ubuntu 14.04
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 09:15:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:15:49 PM UTC-4, Stephen Schaub wrote:
> I am new to Objective-C and GNUstep, and have spent the last few days trying
> to get an environment set up with support for blocks and ARC.
>

> Ubuntu 14.04 has several versions of clang packaged for it in the standard
> repositories, so I thought that would be the way to go, since building clang
> from source requires a lot of time and disk space.
>

> The script here was very helpful in helping me get a working setup:
>

> http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_under_Ubuntu_Linux
>

> However, when I tried to follow it on a stock Ubuntu 14.04 system, I ran into
> trouble. I think my difficulty stemmed from the order the script builds
> things. The post here indicates that GNUstep make should be installed before
> libobjc2, and then reinstalled again afterwards:
>

> http://brilliantobjc.blogspot.kr/2012/12/cocoa-on-freebsd.html
>

> So, here is my script for installing Clang and GNUstep on Ubuntu 14.04. I'm
> hoping it will save someone some time.
>

> # inspired by http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_under_Ubuntu_Linux
>

> #install build tools and gnustep prereqs
>
> sudo apt-get -y install clang-3.5 git subversion ninja cmake
>
> sudo apt-get -y install  libffi-dev libxml2-dev libgnutls-dev libicu-dev
>
> sudo apt-get -y install libblocksruntime-dev libkqueue-dev
> libpthread-workqueue-dev autoconf libtool
>

> cd ~/Downloads
>

> #download source
>
> git clone git://github.com/nickhutchinson/libdispatch.git
>
> svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/modules/core
>
> svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/libs/libobjc2/trunk libobjc2
>

> export CC=clang
>
> export CXX=clang++
>

> #install GNUstep make
>
> cd ~/Downloads/core/make
>
> ./configure --enable-debug-by-default --with-layout=gnustep
> --enable-objc-nonfragile-abi
>
> make -j8
>
> sudo -E make install
>
> . /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh
>

> #install libobjc2
>
> cd ~/Downloads/libobjc2
>
> mkdir build
>
> cd build
>
> cmake ..
>
> make
>
> sudo make install
>

> #reinstall GNUstep make after libobjc2
>
> cd ~/Downloads/core/make
>
> ./configure --enable-debug-by-default --with-layout=gnustep
> --enable-objc-nonfragile-abi
>
> make -j8
>
> sudo -E make install
>

> #add GNUstep config to shell config
>
> echo ". /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh" >> ~/.bashrc
>
> source ~/.bashrc
>

> #install gnustep-base
>
> cd ~/Downloads/core/base/
>
> ./configure
>
> make -j8
>
> sudo -E make install
>

> #install Grand Central Dispatch
>
> cd ~/Downloads/libdispatch
>
> sh autogen.sh
>
> ./configure CFLAGS="-I/usr/include/kqueue" LDFLAGS="-lkqueue
> [...]

Many thanks !   I just got fed up playing guessing games with Fedora Core 20
and gave Ubuntu 14.04 a shot.  To my surprise, it has come a long way and
everything I tried worked at once !

Ivan had a script for installing GNUSTEP a while back but I'll try this way.

I know its a little tricky as the dodges and cautions you've kindly shown
indicate.

Thanks again,
Dr. J.