Re: Problem when scrolling vertically

From: Edwin Ancaer
Subject: Re: Problem when scrolling vertically
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:32:13 +0200

Fred,

[edwin@ottopedi ~]$ pkg-config cairo --modversion
1.13.1

After opening a gnustep application I got tho following result from xprop: [edwin@ottopedi ~]$ xprop -root | grep GNUSTEP
_GNUSTEP_FRAME_OFFSETS(CARDINAL) = 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2, 2, 2, 23, 2

As far as I know, these numbers seem to correspond with the fact that the difference between framerect and contentrect is 4 in width and 25 in height.

Is it possible to re-install a cairo 1.12 library beside the current cairo 1.13 library to see if that is still working?

Hi Edwin,

On 14.07.2014 09:35, Edwin Ancaer wrote:
> I apologise for taking so long to answer, but I'm a little short of time
> for the moment.

No problem.

> Would it be better  if I returned to fedora 19? I only went to 20 because
> it had clang 3.4, and it was mentioned i needed 3.4 o compile Etoilé,  but
> I suppose I could install that in 19. I wanted Etoilé to try Pragmatic
> Smaltalk.

No, we need to get GNUstep running on Fedora 20 and I would be
surprised, when this isn't already working for some people.

> I added some more info about the libraries I found on the system. Is there
> any (easy :-) ) test I could do further  to try to nail down the problem?
>
> - I'm afraid the scrolling problem is in every application I recompiled,
> and not only in the file open dialog, but also in the text control in Ink
> for example. And it happens when scrolling horizontally and vertically.
>
> - the command "xprop -root | grep GNUSTEP" returns nothing.

Did you run at least one GNUstep application before doing that? If so,
we already may be at the source of the problem. Please try this again to
make sure. When the first GNUstep application starts up you will get a
few flickering windows and these will result in the value being set on
the root window.

> - How do I find out what version of Cairo is used when compiling?

pkg-config cairo --modversion

> - I tried to update to the latest version of cairo-devel, but it seems the
> latest version is installed.

Fine.

> [root@ottopedi home]# yum install cairo-devel
> Loaded plugins: langpacks, refresh-packagekit
> adobe-linux-i386
> |  951 B  00:00:00
> fedora/20/i386/metalink
> |  34 kB  00:00:00
> pgdg92
> | 2.8 kB  00:00:00
> rpmfusion-free-updates
> | 3.3 kB  00:00:00
> updates/20/i386/metalink
> |  18 kB  00:00:00
> updates
> | 4.9 kB  00:00:00
> http://fedora-mirror01.rbc.ru/pub/fedora/linux/updates/20/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
> [Errno -1] repomd.xml does not match metalink for updates
> Trying other mirror.
> updates
> | 4.9 kB  00:00:00
> updates/20/i386/primary_db
> FAILED
> http://fedora-mirror01.rbc.ru/pub/fedora/linux/updates/20/i386/repodata/b2f57b00ba3856679a121ec37e9bcd65d8804dde4d8abea3aa3c45fc0c53e69a-primary.sqlite.bz2:
> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found
> Trying other mirror.
> updates/20/i386/primary_db
> | 9.2 MB  00:00:09
> updates/20/i386/updateinfo
> FAILED
> http://fedora-mirror01.rbc.ru/pub/fedora/linux/updates/20/i386/repodata/da6f61a9e58fc4e46183cc51a38a3138506b79cd862e4d0f569dc5f3c379d585-updateinfo.xml.gz:
> [Errno 14] HTTP Error 404 - Not Found
> Trying other mirror.
> (1/2):
> updates/20/i386/pkgtags
> | 1.0 MB  00:00:01
> (2/2):
> updates/20/i386/updateinfo
> | 1.3 MB  00:00:02
> Package cairo-devel-1.13.1-0.1.git337ab1f.fc20.i686 already installed and
> latest version
> Nothing to do

OK, this is a newer version of cairo to the one I am using (1.12.16). It
could be that there was a change in cairo that will require changes in
our code. But we will need a GNustep developer to use this cairo version
to find out.
Is there anybody else out there using a cairo 1.13 release?

The interesting bit here is that there never was a 1.13 release of
cairo. Fedora must have used the cairo trunk at one point and shipped that.
Now it looks like you are in real trouble. It could be that in that
cairo code is a new bug that we are running into, or that it fixes an
old bug that GNUstep still has a workaround or that the behaviour has
just changed.

Most likely changes to this GNUstep back CarioGState method are needed
- (void) compositeGState: (CairoGState *)source
                fromRect: (NSRect)srcRect
                 toPoint: (NSPoint)destPoint
                      op: (NSCompositingOperation)op
                fraction: (CGFloat)delta

but this is one of the most complicate methods in that file. If you feel
very adventurous, go ahead and ply with it.

Sorry, I don't have any other idea what could be done.

Fred