Re: website cleanup: JIGS / RIGS

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: website cleanup: JIGS / RIGS
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:45:16 +0200

Hi,

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
In the case of JIGS it's more accurate to say it's stable ... there's no work required as a rule. Nicola and I both make occasional (really very rare) updates.
That's very nice to hear.

do they work? should we even display them?
They work, sort of.   We should display them, but note that they are
both experimental.
We have used JIGS in production systems in the tomcat servlet engine for over a
decade.
That's quite limited use (we use it to call objc code from java), but it works
reliably.
I've also made extensive use of it to call java code from objc (in order to use
a jdbc database client library from objc code).

It does have a few disadvantages:
If you have bad objc code and cause a crash in the objc world, of course it
kills the process, which is pretty bad if that process is the servlet engine
dealing with a large web site.
When you have objc code that leaks memory (or just uses a lot) its invisible to
the java garbage collector and you can carelessly run the process out of memory.
When those problems occur in the ObjC world, it's very hard to debug them
inside a massively multi-threaded Java process.

None of those are really issues with JIGS though ... as a bridging technology
it works well.

Right. would you guys mind if I move the site from gnustep.it and refactor it into some simpler pages onto gnustep.org following the style of the rest of the site, it would make it more consistent and officially. If it works, better so, don't you think?

DO you know if RIGS is also in the "works and low-maintenance category" or not?

Riccardo