Re: Phoenix language

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Phoenix language
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 00:06:24 +0200

Am 22.10.2014 um 23:50 schrieb Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com>:

> Dr. Schaller,
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
> <hns@computer.org> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Am 22.10.2014 um 21:11 schrieb Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Dr. Schaller,

>>> If you believe that I can reuse anything from it, it would be nice.
>>
>> Well, I don’t know what you want to do and achieve and if I remember
>> correctly there was no deep discussion so far about GNUstep doing
>> anything with/for the Swift language (although it is quite forcing).
>
> There was, in fact, some discussion on these lines.  There were
> postings to the list about swift when the language was first
> announced.   The decision at that time was to write one if Apple
> didn’t open theirs.

I remember some discussion but wasn’t aware that such a decision was taken.

> That is what I’m doing.

It looks like a “I, GC” project rather than a “we, GNUstep”. So you should not
be astonished about some reactions here.

>> Therefore it is difficult to recommend something for reuse.

>>> Nope. :)  GNUstep is the main reason I'm doing this.  GNUstep is
>>> always my first love and concern.
>>
>> I appreciate to hear that. It did look for me so far as a completely new
>> and different project that has nothing in common (except you working
>> for both). But I know from my projects that the outside view might not
>> reveal the connections.
>
> Swift, as I see it, is important for our future.  Also, I wasn't sure
> if it was a good idea to put it into GNUstep's repo.  I may still put
> a version of it there if needed.

This makes me even more puzzled. Are there two versions planned?

Anyways it is a good initiative.

BR,
Nikolaus

>>> http://www.gnustep.org