What would be the most complete GNUStep system?

From: Asiga Nael
Subject: What would be the most complete GNUStep system?
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 10:19:50 +0000

Hi,

I've been using OSX as my everyday OS for over a decade, mostly for software development (but not with Xcode, as I'm a die-hard Terminal user, and I'm a Makefile-type user).

Now I've become quite worried about OSX, because I don't like its current direction, making it heavier and heavier, with no real improvements for power-users, while gradually dropping useful features, not to mention I dislike the latest Mac hardware compared to the Macs they used to make.

But OSX has very useful stuff I don't find anywhere else. Mostly:

1-Application bundles (seeing apps as directories is one thing I cannot live without it anymore)
2-Great management of disk images with support for creating and mounting images of different file systems. So great, that disk images is the preferred way for packaging OSX apps.
3-Fat binaries (yes, some people don't like the space they take, but I find it very convenient to have a 32bit executable and its 64 bit version on the same file).

>From what I've read, it seems GNUStep implements all or most of NeXTSTEP, while also adding some new Cocoa additions from OSX. But it's not an Operating System, just a framework. It seems you can install it on a lot of OSs, although I found it confusing to understand how each OS supports it.

Isn't there any OS that considers GNUStep as the most important part of the OS while supporting the 3 features that I love from OSX (app bundles, dmg-like support, fat binaries)?

If such OS exists, please tell, as it would be my natural move from OSX.

Thanks!

asiga